If you love chicken and love salad, but are sick of eating lettuce leaves, give this a try. This is a great chicken salad that is packed with flavour, protein and carbs.
It takes 15 minutes to prepare and 10 minutes cooking time.
- 1L (4 cups) water
- 1 brown onion, halved
- 2 single chicken breast fillets
- 1 carrot, peeled, cut into matchsticks
- 150g snow peas, thinly sliced
- 1 red capsicum, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cabbage, finely shredded
- 3 green shallots, ends trimmed, thinly sliced diagonally
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves
- 2 tblspn fresh lime juice
- 1 tblspn fish sauce
- 2 tsp brown sugar
Place water, onion and chicken in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, for 10 minutes or until cooked. Drain chicken and discard onion.
Place carrot and snow peas in a bowl. Cover with boiling water. Set aside for 1 minute or until bright green and tender crisp. Refresh under cold running water.
Shred chicken. Place chicken, carrot, snow peas, capsicum, cabbage, shallots and coriander in a bowl.
Combine lime juice, fish sauce and sugar in a jar. Pour over salad and combine. Divide among serving bowls to serve.
Recipe provided by Chrissy Freer of Australian Good Taste magazine.